According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), Coronavirus is a large group of viruses that may cause respiratory illnesses like the common cold. Some of the Coronaviruses are dangerous, but most of them are not. Sometimes, the viruses may lead to lower-respiratory tract infections like pneumonia and hepatitis.
In 1960, Human Coronavirus (HCoV) identified in the patient’s nose having a common cold. The virus is named based on its crown-like projection. Corona means “crown” (and “halo” in Latin)
The virus were given their name based on the crown-like projections on their surfaces. “Corona” in Latin means “halo” or “crown.”
There are 7 types of human Coronaviruses:
- Human coronavirus 229E (HCoV-229E)
- Human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43)
- Human coronavirus NL63 (HCoV-NL63, New Haven coronavirus)
- Human coronavirus HKU1
- Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), previously known as novel coronavirus 2012 and HCoV-EMC.
- Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), Recently identified in China.
2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
On December 31, 2019, the WHO (World Health Organization) was warned about some cases of pneumonia in Wuhan City (Central China’s Hubei province). After testing the virus, it was found that the virus did not have any matching traits with known viruses, which increases concern as whenever a new virus is detected, nobody has any idea how it affects people.
After a week, Chinese authorities identified that a virus. This virus temporarily named “2019-nCoV”. Also named as 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
Symptoms of Coronavirus
Human Coronaviruses may sometimes leads to lower respiratory tract illness (like pneumonia or bronchitis), these illnesses most probably last for a short period.
Some of the symptoms of the virus are:
- Sneezing and runny nose
- Fatigue and feeling of unwell
- Sore throat or cough
- Fever in a few cases
- bad situation of asthma
Treatment of Coronavirus
There is no vaccine or nor any cure to this virus. To prevent the infection, treatment comprises of taking care of yourself. You have to follow the same procedure as you conform to avoid common cold:
- Take plenty of rest and avoid taking too much stress
- Have enough water throughout the day and try to have more fluids
- Avoid contact with infected people
- Keep your body clean most importantly hands (use soap and warm water or use a well-reputed sanitizer)
- Try to avoid smoking and going to smoky areas
How the Virus Transmitted?
There is no big deal to discover how human Coronaviruses infection transmits from person to person. Just like other viruses, it spread with coming in contact with people or things having the illness.
Some of the common ways how the virus transmitted:
When an infected person cough or sneeze without covering, the infection got disperse in the air and leads to the spreading of illness.
While making physical contact with the infected person like shaking hands or touching through which the virus passes from an infected person to a healthy one.
Coming in the contact of surface or any object having the virus and then touching your face.
Some Quick Facts About Coronavirus
- Common cold has no cure
- Coronaviruses causes both SARS (Severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome)
- The virus infect many different species
- There are seven known human Coronavirus.
Health Advisory to Travelers Visiting China:
Here is the health advisory issued by the government to travelers visiting China:
- Maintain and notice personal hygiene
- Frequently wash your hands with soap or have a sanitizer with you all the time
- Maintain your respiratory etiquette like covering your mouth while sneezing and coughing. And wearing a mask if you have symptoms of respiratory illness like runny nose & cough.
- Avoiding contact with people having symptoms of cough, runny nose, and also who are looking unwell.
- Avoiding contact with animals
- Avoiding the consumption of under-cooked or raw meat
Travelers visiting Wuhan city should monitor their health frequently:
- If you feel unwell or having symptoms like cough, runny nose, or fever:
- Try to avoid travelling if you feel sick
- Covering your mouth while sneezing and coughing
- Have proper medical attention without any delay